This summer holiday, we are exploring different tastes across the nation by creating an exclusive recipe from the Little Foodies series with Emirates Holidays! Today, we are making Stir-Fried Yellow Noodles!
Emirates Holidays has partnered up with top family resorts chefs to create an exclusive series of ‘Little Foodies’ recipe cards for download. This is to encourage families to cook together, expand their taste buds and remind themselves of their holiday through local flavours this summer.
Research conducted by Censuswide on behalf of Emirates Holidays in July 2018 shows that whilst over half (55%) of parents worry about what their kids will eat when they are away, in reality, on arrival at their destination, almost half (45%) of brave British kids will try at least one or two local dishes on holiday like flatbread (49%), chorizo (35%) and curries (35%) while many have even experimented with more unusual foodstuffs including olives (28%), calamari (21%) and even a bold one in ten sample octopus (12%).
One of the local dishes my children loved when we visited my home Singapore was stir-fry noodles. Who doesn’t love noodles? It is a staple Chinese food for all meals throughout the day. Now we are making Stir-Fried Yellow Noodles. All the ingredients are very easily found in any large supermarket. We bought egg noodles from the refrigeration section rather than dried egg noodles as they taste better.
- 480g egg noodle
- 60g sliced shallots
- 80g sliced carrots
- 60g shitake mushrooms
- 4 fresh eggs
- 120g vegetable oil
- 100g kale
- 120g peeled prawns
- 80g sliced squid (2 cm wide)
- 80g oyster sauce
- 40g soy sauce
- 20g white sugar
- 20ml chicken stock
- Chop the kale into large pieces (the leafy parts can be up to 5cm long but the stalky part should not exceed 1.5 cm). Or buy a pack of ready-chopped kale!
- Heat the oil in a wok or a pan at medium to high heat, before adding the shallots and let them sweat until they become clear.
- Add the prawns and squid, and stir-fry them for at least 45 seconds.
- Once the prawns and the squid darken in colour, add the noodles followed by all the remaining vegetables and mix.
- Add the stock and season with soy sauce, oyster sauce and white sugar – the final texture of the sauce should be that of a light gravy.
- Poach one egg per portion of noodles before placing on top.
This recipe is so easy to prepare and can be cooked in minutes, we all very much enjoyed our delicious stir-fried yellow noodles! Mr K loves to give me a helping hand in the kitchen! If you like spicy food, then add some chopped red chillies. Remember to remove the chilli seeds so it isn’t too spicy!
Download their 10 exclusive Little Foodies recipe cards and try them out with your children this summer holiday! Let’s get messy in the kitchen and explore the different tastes across the nation with your children!
Disclosure: We received shopping vouchers for the purposes of writing this recipe, however, all thoughts and opinions remain our own.