This summer, the Change4Life 10 Minute Shake Ups with Disney are back again to encourage children to get the 60 minutes of moderate to intense physical activity they need each day with fun 10 minute bursts of activity. If you remember last year, we were involved in the Inside Out 10 Minute Shake Ups where we received the Change4Life activity pack and wristband with timer. Both of my children were so excited with the activities and have been wearing their watch to time themselves!
This year, there are even more interactive Shake Ups, including those inspired by the new Disney·Pixar film, Finding Dory, which set a box office record for an animated film when it opened in the United States in June. Here in the UK, it will be released on 29th July which will be in time for the summer holidays. We were thrilled to be the first few to catch it at Soho Hotel last Sunday. If you don’t know Dory, her tagline is just keep swimming! So this summer, we will be doing a lot of swimming and keep ourselves active! Have you seen that I have built the pallet climbing frame and pallet playhouse for the children? I hope that these will keep both children away from their gadgets and encourage them to spend more time outdoor and keep active!
From today, Disney, Change4Life and the Amateur Swimming Association (ASA) launched nationwide interactive family swim sessions and a brand new 10 Minute Shake Up campaign – inspired by Finding Dory. The Finding Dory inspired swim sessions, which are approved by the ASA and run from 22nd July until 4th September, will provide an hour of in-water storytelling for the whole family, teaching children key swimming skills as they are taken on a journey with Dory and friends, led by trained instructors. To find your local session or to book, visit www.disney.co.uk/justkeepmoving
For a chance to win £250 worth of Fin-tastic Finding Dory prizes, simply share a photo of your kids in front of the Disney•Pixar Finding Dory stand at a participating pool or your kids shaking it up with a 10 Minute Shake Up on Instagram with the hashtag #JustKeepMoving (From 22th July – 4th Sept).
Double Olympic Gold medal-winning swimmer and mum Becky Adlington is supporting the campaign and she is sharing her top tips to encourage kids to have fun and get active this summer:
- Take your kids to the local park and run around and play with them in the play area. The fresh air and bursts of activity will keep them healthy and ensure they’re having fun. What’s more, it’s completely free!
- Swap the car for your trusty feet, or get off the bus a stop or two early, and get walking to wherever you’re going. If you’ve got a dog to walk, even better! My dog gets treated to a day out in the park when it’s sunny.
- When it pours with rain, it’s an easy excuse not to get active, but there are lots of fun ways to ‘Just Keep Moving’, whatever the weather. If you’re excited to see Dory and her friends return in Finding Dory this summer, try putting some music on and giving the 10 Minute Shake Up ‘Dory’s Blue Fin Boogie’ a go, and get dancing with the whole family!
- Build activity into your children’s day. Whether it’s going for a walk to the shops to pick up some groceries or even getting them to help you do the washing up, it gets them off the sofa and keeps their hearts beating faster.
- Swimming is a great way to exercise and it’s also a brilliant way to spend time together as a family. Book your Finding Dory inspired swim session at your local pool.
- Being a confident swimmer is a really valuable skill and developing this as a child means you’ll be splash happy for life. Take a gradual and gentle approach with your child to encourage them in the water. Sit them on the edge of the pool with their feet dangling in and help them to trickle water over themselves. Then build on this by getting them standing in shallow water. After this you can use fun games to get them underwater – why not try blowing bubbles with them?
- Struggling to find time to get the kids active? There are lots of fun and exciting Change4Life and Disney 10 Minute Shake Ups online. Every 10 minutes counts and your kids will be getting their 60 minutes of physical activity before you know it! Search Change4Life online for Disney and Finding Dory inspired 10 Minute Shake Ups and don’t forget to book your swim session!
So this summer, look for opportunities to get them active and have fun!
Disclosure: We were invited to attend the event. All thoughts are our honest opinions. Image used with permission.