This week, I have been quite busy making Valentines Day things with my kids and I came across a video post on facebook to make a rose bun.
The ingredients are:
- 350g plain flour
- 150ml warm water
- 1 teaspoon of yeast
- 4 tablespoon of sugar
- Pink food colouring
- Add yeast to warm water. (If it easy bake yeast, mix it in together with the flour)
- Then add sugar
- Stir well and add food colouring. I added 2 tablespoon but this is depending on your preference. Please note: I had added red food colouring in one of the batches and it turned out purple. So I used a pink food colouring. Mix it with flour.
- Cover it with kitchen cloth and leave it to rise for 1 to 2 hours.
- Cut into small balls and roll them into circle shapes.
- Place 5 circle shapes so that they overlap and roll them. Start from smaller circle shape to the biggest circle. This photo is not great at showing it!
- Cut in half down the middle.
- Cook them by steaming it for 5 – 10 minutes (depend on the size of the rose). Leave it inside the steamer for 5 minutes before removing them out of the steamer.
This is the same method of making Chinese savoury buns but without adding food colouring and make it into a rose. I am not an expert as I am still learning. This is supposed to make a bigger rose than this mini one. If you are able to roll it into a larger circle, your rose will definitely look bigger than mine! Hope you like this!