PLj is a classic British brand, which evokes nostalgia amongst many, a favoured slimming aid since the 1970s is a great everyday accompaniment to many drinks and dishes. They can be used for detoxing, adding to recipes or giving a twist to your favourite cocktail. Their natural lemon juice contains no artificial ingredients or colours and is a staple for Pancake Day as an easy, affordable and convenient replacement for fresh lemons.
I love my sparkling water with a hint of lemon! I used my Sodastream to bubble up the water and added about 50 ml of PLj Lemon Juice. The amount of PLj Lemon Juice depends on how sharp you like your drink to taste. If you prefer sweeter, add sugar syrups to make Lemonade instead! It is indeed very sharp taste. I can only handle a small amount of PLj Lemon Juice each time. If you like it very intense, then add more in! I also used it to mix it into Midori cocktails! It tastes sweet and sour at the same time!PLj Lemon Juice can also be added in warming Hot Toddy – a measure of good whisky, one teaspoon of honey, a dash of PLj and topped up with hot water – perfect for cold winter evenings!
Chinese New Year is approaching, then that will be followed by Valentines Day and Pancake Day on the 4th March 2014 (also known as Shrove Tuesday). To make a PLj’s Perfect pancake recipe, these are the ingredients you need:
- 100g sifted plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Butter for frying
- Mix the flour, salt, eggs, sunflower oil and 50ml of milk together in a large mixing bowl. Beat until you have a smooth and thick paste.
- Gradually add the remaining milk until the batter is the consistency of thick single cream.
- Whisk energetically to get air into the batter. Leave for 30 minutes covered with a tea towel. This allows the flour starch to swell.
- Heat your pan for two to three minutes, then add the butter.
- Once melted, add two tablespoons of your batter mix. Swirl and flip.
- Eat and enjoy with PLj Lemon Juice and a sprinkling of sugar.
Tip: For a delicious savoury alternative, fill the pancake with fresh smoked salmon, a spreading of cream cheese and a drizzle of PLj Lemon Juice, with a sprinkling of dill to garnish.
PLj Lemon Juice is available from Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Morrisons, Holland & Barrett and all good health food stores priced £2.29 (RRP) for 500ml. With approximately 20 servings per bottle, PLj is the easy way to enjoy real lemon juice, but without the mess or hassle of chopping and squeezing. Keep in refrigerator once opened and use within four weeks.
Disclosure: We received the sample for the purposes of writing this review, however, all thoughts and opinions remain our own. Recipe is copied from PLj Lemon Juice.