This is my Chinese New Year ang pow fan tutorial. If you would like to learn about other lantern designs I have made previously, do take a look at my Pinterest board for Chinese New Year.
This coming Chinese New Year celebration for my Chinese club, I am planning to get my class to make this ang pow fan together as a project. This will be great for older children in the class. It is much more challenging than making a fish using ang pow which I will share in the next blog post.
To make this ang pow fan, you will need:
- 26 rectangle ang pow (same design if possible)
- rubber band/red string
- Fold the ang pow into half, length wise and fold again. You will need 13 ang pow. This is to make the fan stem.
- Now join the ang pow together using the fan stem and staple it at the back. See the photos.
- Once you have joined the ang pow together, use a rubber band/red string to tie the stems together. If you have any red string ornament that you want to include in this craft, tie it together with the rubber band.
- Next fold the last ang pow to cover the stem.
- You can either place it on the table or punch a hole on the top middle of the fan and thread red string to hang it up.
This craft should take around 40 minutes to do by yourself. I hope you like it!