These few weeks I have seen people post Wimbledon themed cakes and I decided to make some too! This is a classic Victoria sponge recipe but instead of vanilla essence, I have swapped it with rose water.
Wimbledon is always associated with strawberries and cream so I have included fresh strawberries in this recipe and have also added green coloured paste into the cream. This is the Wimbledon cupcake recipe.
- 125g butter
- 125g self-raising flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of rose water
- Green coloured food paste
- 160g of whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 10-12 strawberries
- Add the butter, flour, sugar, eggs, rose water and paste into the mixer and blend it well.
- Divide the mixture into individual cupcake casings.
- Bake for 175°C for 20-25 minutes.
- Whip the cream, icing sugar and coloured paste until stiff. Leave it in the fridge until you are ready to pipe.
- Use piping bag and nozzle to create the green lawn, then add the strawberry toppings.
This is no different to any Victoria sponge cake except its taste and delicate rose flavour! A variation of the cakes is to hide the strawberries inside the cupcakes. I was suffering from the effects of hay fever at the time so didn’t do this.