This summer holiday, we have been very busy whisking, mixing and baking! Both of my children love helping me in the kitchen and making a lot of mess! Rarely a day goes where my kitchen is not filled with mess!
After successfully baking the butternut squash muffins and butternut squash & raspberry traybake, this week we have baked the carrot cupcake ice cream cone. This recipe is very simple and as you add in grated carrot into the mixture, you get the hidden benefit of eating some veg! Both my children enjoyed it even thought they knew there was carrot in it. They didn’t taste any difference to any other cake. Another success of hidden vegetables in a cake recipe!
For the ice cream cupcake:
- 150g self-raising flour, sifted
- 150g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 12 flat bottomed ice cream wafer cones
- 50-100g carrot, grated
For the icing:
- 400g icing sugar
- 150g butter
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp milk
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale.
- Add just 2 tbsp of the flour plus the eggs to the mix. Beat to combine further. Now add the rest of the flour mix plus the vanilla and the 1 tbsp milk, stirring firmly to combine, but don’t beat. Now add the carrot into the mix.
- Fill the cones about half way up and placing each one in the hollow of a muffin tin or simply spaced out on a baking tray.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 160°C fan.
- Sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and add the butter, vanilla extract and milk. Beat to combine until it’s all smooth. Then place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to allow it to stiffen up (or place in the fridge for a bit longer).
- Place icing in a piping bag with a ‘star’ shaped nozzle. Decorate as you wish with sprinkles and chocolate drops etc.
Thanks to Persil for providing us this recipe. The cone is slightly soft but still gives you a good crunch! It’s a very yummy recipe, give it a go!
Did you know that Persil Washing Up Liquid is encouraging families into the kitchen to cook up a mess this summer with an on-pack promotion aimed at bringing families together to create fun foodie memories? They are giving away some fantastic cooking rewards, from chef hats and colourful whisks to aprons and bright silicone cases. Haven Holidays vouchers are also up for grabs, as well as a chance to bag a £250 voucher for the lucky winner’s favourite supermarket. To get their hands on the rewards, customers simply have to enter the unique code printed on the back of a promotional pack of Persil Washing Up Liquid into the Cook with the Kids website and redeem their points. Every promotional pack of Persil Washing Up Liquid is worth 10 points and these points can be collected to claim a variety of rewards. CLOSED!
Disclosure: We were provided with shopping vouchers to do this post.