As many of you may know, the brand new Minions movie hits cinemas on 26th June 2015! We can’t wait to watch it now! To celebrate, Green Giant is challenging bloggers to create the ultimate Minion-inspired summer snack.
So I created these Minions sweet corn steamed cakes! I can understand that it might sound weird for some people but in fact, in Asian countries, sweet corn is used in many recipes. We even have sweet corn ice cream, sweet corn jelly and not forgetting the popular chicken with sweet corn soup as found in many Chinese takeaways and restaurants.
Most children love cake! But not all children love vegetables! By combining these two together, we made sweet corn cakes! Sweet corn is naturally sweet, healthy and nutritious!
Also if your child does not like sweet corn, you could purée all the sweet corn. If they don’t mind the kernels, then leave a handful of sweet corn to add in at the end. This recipe will make 8 cakes.
- 150g rice flour/plain flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 300g sweet corn (2x 198g Green Giant sweet corn salt free tins)
- 50ml water
- 2 eggs
- 70g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 50g icing sugar
- Black food colouring plus icing
- 50g white cooking chocolate
- A handful of chocolate chips
- Drain the sweet corn and discard the liquid from the tin. Blend the sweet corn with water. Then drain out the purée using a sieve.
- Beat the eggs and add caster sugar in small portions until it is light and fluffy.
- Fold the sifted flour and baking powder into the egg mixture in a few portions. Then add the oil and 100ml of sweet corn purée in between the fold. Mix well.
- Optionally, add a handful of sweet corn kernels into the mixture.
- Place the mixture into the muffin cases and steam it for 15-20 minutes in a steamer.
- Pour the leftover sweet corn purée with icing sugar into a piping bag. This is to decorate the top of the cakes. Adjust the icing sugar according to your amount of puree left.
- Melt the white chocolate and place it into a piping bag. Pip a one pence size circle and add one of the chocolate chips on it. Next place all the chocolate eyes into the fridge for 2 minutes.
- Place a strip of black icing across the cake.
- Add the chocolate eye on top of the black icing.
This cake is flavoursome and comes with a little chocolate treat for your little one! Hope you like this recipe.
Do check out Green Giant Minions promoting packs to win a family holiday – you have until 27th December 2015 to enter! Good luck!
Disclosure: We are taking part in the Tots100/Green Giant Minion challenge and have been compensated.