Happy Egg Taste Makers recently partnered up with food stylist and instagrammer, Marte Marie Forsberg, who has provided her Top 5 Tips for creating the best looking food. So they set us, the Happy Egg bloggers, a challenge to take part and create our own style using her tips for a chance of winning some great prizes.
I love baking and I have always wanted to make roulade. I have tried a few times now and had made a rainbow roulade and vanilla sponge with strawberry. This time I am going to make this Blueberry Chocolate Roulade. This recipe is from the Favourite Cakes book by Best Baking.
- 4 eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 75g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
Ingredients for filling:
- 300ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Handful of blueberries
- Break the eggs into a heatproof bowl, add the sugar and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until the mixture is thick, creamy and leaves a trail.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa, fold in gently.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 7 – 10 minutes 200°C, until firm and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and immediately turnout onto a large sheet of non-stick baking paper sprinkled with caster sugar. Quickly trim off the crusty edges of the cake and roll up firmly from a short end, with the paper inside. Cover with a clean tea towel so the cake remains soft. Leave to cool completely.
- For the filling, whisk the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract until thick. Unroll the cake, remove the paper and spread the cream and blueberries evenly over the cake. Roll up carefully and sift over a little icing sugar.
As you can see, I have focused on the lighting and composition and next is the styling. I placed it on a longish plate and arranged a few blueberries around the background with fake flowers! What do you think?
Disclosure: We have received a voucher to buy Happy Egg and this is a competition entry. Image used with permission.