This recipe is for Red Tractor #RTChallenge. This is my third recipe to cook rhubarb crumble using the hamper full of delicious Red Tractor Assured ingredients they provided. We used the British grown rhubarb from Waitrose and British butter from Morrisons. My husband took this recipe from BBC Goodfood but modified it slightly.
Please click here to learn more about Red Tractor and their food assurance scheme. Do look out for the Red Tractor logo on a huge range of products. The logo will appear in a variety of positions. It could be on the front, back or side of the pack.
- 500 g rhubarb, chopped into chunks 2.5 cm
- 100 g golden caster sugar
Ingredients for crumble topping:
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 85 g butter
- 50 g light brown muscovado sugar
- Tip the rhubarb into a saucepan with the sugar. Cover and simmer on a very low heat for 10 – 15 minutes. When soft and sweet enough, pour the rhubarb into a baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan.
- To make the topping, rub the flour and butter together with your fingers until you have a soft, crumbly topping. Now add the sugar.
- Scatter the topping over the rhubarb and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
This recipe was extremely gorgeous! It is best to serve with double cream or you could make do with custard too!
I would suggest to increase the rhubarb to 1 kg. After he boiled the rhubarb, it had gone quite flat on the baking dish. Also increase the self-raising flour to 250 g. We tried using the recipe provided but the mixture was very sticky and it wasn’t crumbly. So we had to add an extra 50 g of self-raising flour into it.
Look out for the next food post for more #RTChallenge!
Disclosure: We received the hamper for the purposes of writing this review, however, all thoughts and opinions remain our own.