As many of you will know, I’ve been writing a series of Chinese New Year posts from crafts to foods. Check out my Chinese New Year’s Pinterest board for ideas!
Many Chinese will cook a fish dish on Chinese New Year Eve reunion dinner as it represents 年年有余 (Nian Nian You Yu) meaning abundance through the year. It is a great auspicious dish for all to eat. It is also traditional to serve fish with its head and tail intact to symbolise a positive beginning and end to the New Year.
This is the Steamed Seabass with Shredded Ginger recipe from Wing Yip. Its serves 2 – 3 person.
1 seabass (approx. 750g)
1 tbsp Wing Yip Oyster Sauce
2 tbsp Wing Yip White Cooking Wine
5-6cm fresh root ginger – peeled and finely shredded
2 spring onions – finely shredded and soaked in cold water
1 tsp Wing Yip Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Wing Yip Light Soy Sauce
1. Clean and dry the seabass. Using a sharp knife, slash the skin diagonally along each side so that the flesh is exposed and stuff the head and body with shredded ginger. Rub a little sesame oil over the fish.
2. Fill a steamer with about 5cm of water. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
3. Place the fish on a heatproof plate, pour over the cooking wine and light soy sauce. Cover with foil and place in the steamer.
4. Steam the whole fish for approximately 15-20 minutes.
5. Heat the oyster sauce in a small pan and when the fish is cooked pour the juices from the heatproof plate into the same pan.
6. Reduce slightly, add the sesame oil and pour the mixture over the fish.
7. Garnish with spring onion curls and fresh shredded ginger and serve immediately.
Hints and tips:
Steaming with wine and fresh ginger enhances the subtle sweetness of the fish. Remove scales by scraping toward the head of the fish with a sharp knife. To test if the fish is cooked, press the flesh with a fork or chopsticks to check that it’s flaky.
Wing Yip is the UK’s leading Oriental retailer with four superstores in Birmingham, Manchester, Cricklewood and Croydon as well as an online store www.wingyipstore.co.uk
The company has rapidly become one of the most celebrated stores, sourcing and supplying authentic ingredients to the UIK’s Chinese and Asian restaurants, discerning chefs and food enthusiasts.
I am delighted to partner with Wing Yip to give one of my followers the chance to win the Chinese New Year Gift box worth £45! Good luck and enter through Rafflecopter! Do check out the rest of my giveaways here!
Entry #3279Jane M.
Disclosure: I am not paid to host this competition. Images from Wing Yip used with permission.