After hosting my first game – How posh are you, my friends asked me to host another game as they were very keen to play. So this time round, I decided to rename it to the Branded or Non-Branded game.
In my previous post, I mentioned that I went to nearby supermarkets and shops to gather my items. This time around, I asked my friends to buy some of the items that are available in M&S as they offered to do so. I also went to Aldi and found quite a lot of alternatives!
In total, I have bought over 38 items as some of the branded products were equivalent to two cheap supermarket items (Lidl and Aldi)! I did try to find alcohol-free beer, but ended up getting one ale, one cider and one lager. It is not easy to find as not all supermarkets carry them. Again, I had to shop in many places to find them. This is why items in numbers 15 and 16 are purely for fun.
Also, to add a natural break in the game, I let them test out puzzles! Each brand’s jigsaw puzzle thickness and quality will give a different feel. Feel it and you will know!
- Shopping. This involved going to different shops! Try to go to bigger supermarkets as they tend to stock more varieties.
- Make your PowerPoint slide via Canva. I presented it using Google Chrome and Chrome Casted it onto my home TV screen. If you don’t have those, you can use your PC instead.
- Create the scoring sheet and print it out on A4 size 160g paper.
- Find an assistant!
- Get these items: disposable or plastic plates for placing the items, cups, sticky labels to label your plate A or B, pen/pencils to write on and zip lock bags to keep all the food items.
- Check with your players if they have any food or nut allergies or if they are vegan as some products are not suitable for vegans.
- This game involves testing a range of snacks, drinks and other items. In total, we had a range of 16 items to test and multiple choice questions.
- Each of you will get an answering sheet and a pen or pencil. On this answering sheet, you can see there are two columns of A and B. After testing each item, you can score the item from 1 to 5. 1 is the least favoured and 5 is the most favoured. This score is for your own use. It will not count towards the scoring.
- On the Branded column, you need to guess which item is the branded item. Like A or B. If you guess it correctly, you will score 1 point.
- On the Question column, you need to put down your answer 1, 2, 3 or 4 in the box. If you guess it correctly, you will score 1 point.
- You then write down your total score in the Score column.
- The last two sets of items numbers 15 and 16 are purely for fun. It will not be scored, but the multiple-choice question will be scored.
Please note that the pricing was correct in March 2023. The pricing might be slightly different now. Use these files for your own references or examples. It is not for public use. Click to download the Branded or Non Branded scoresheet and product details here and the Branded or Non-Branded presentation here.
As for the rematch, most of them preferred the M&S and Tower Gate more than McVitie’s. Shocking! Anyway, everyone found the game quite filling as we’d all eaten a takeaway before playing. I think next time I would reduce the number of products for testing and also mix in more non-food items in between.