I have never tried to bake a marble cake from scratch as it is often easier to use a pre-mix to bake with my children! We all love marble cake for its chocolate swirls in the cake! But there isn’t much choice of marble cake pre-mixes on the market.
Anyway, recently The Happy Egg Co have kindly sent me a signed copy of Eric Lanlard’s Totally Chocolate cookbook, which features all his favourite chocolate recipes! I was so excited when I saw this chocolate and vanilla marble cake recipe which also happened to be his first listed recipe. I was thrilled to make it from scratch!
The fabulous chef, Eric Lanlard also created Peanut Butter & Chocolate Egg Cups for the Happy Egg co which can be found on their website.
To make this marble cake, you will need:
- 125g unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing
- 125g dark chocolate
- 5 eggs
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 125g plain flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160° Grease loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale. Beat in the cooled, melted butter, then sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in.
- Separate the mixture into 2 large bowls. Fold the vanilla into one of the mixtures and the melted chocolate into the other. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then gently fold half the egg whites into each cake mixture.
- Spoon layers of the mixtures alternately into the prepared tin, then run though a skewer 2 – 3 times to create a marbled effect. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a cooling rack to cool completely.
This is a very chocolaty recipe that has gone down very well in our house! I find that using a good quality mixer whisks the mixture so much more quickly! How I wish I had change my mixer much earlier!
As this is my first time baking the marble cake, my cake didn’t have the unique swirls. So hopefully next time I’ll get it right!
Disclosure: I have received the cookbook as an Easter day gift. We have included an Amazon affiliate link to the product. If you click on this and buy, we may earn a small commission.