Today is National Cherry Day. I am so pleased to team up with OXO Good Grips to celebrate the day and bring you this simple recipe.
To bake this recipe, I used the OXO Good Grips Cherry/Olive Pitter to remove the stones. It is so easy to use and a robust kitchen tool. I thought it looked like a very stylish stapler when I first saw it. Using one hand, I was able to operate it with its soft, comfortable non-slip handles absorbing the pressure while you squeeze. The stone comes out very easily and cleaning it is simple too. The pitter features a removable splatter shield that directs juices downward and prevents them from splattering your work area. When not in use, the splatter shield fits inside the front chamber and a lock holds the pitter closed for convenient storage. It is very compact when the pitter is locked.
With this tool, it made baking my cherry muffin recipe very easy but of course it could be used for pitting olives too. I have not tried it with olives but I believe it should be able to remove the stone as easily as the cherry.
This is my video demonstration:
To bake this Cherry & Chocolate Chip Muffins, I have modified the recipe that I took from the National Bake Week site.
- 175g butter
- 175g castor sugar
- 300g self-raising flour, sieved
- 5 tablespoons Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 100g fresh cherries, stoned and quartered
- A handful of chocolate chips
- Add all the ingredients except the cherries and chocolate chips into a bowl, and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
- Now mix the cherries and chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Divide the mixture and decorate the tops with remaining cherries.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C, 180°C (fan), gas mark 6 for 20 – 25 minutes. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
These muffins were so delicious. The top is crunchy and the inside is mouthwatering soft.
Have you been baking anything today? Why not share your recipe here?
Disclosure: We have received the sample for the purposes of writing this review, however, all thoughts and opinions remain our own.