Want to learn how to cook authentic Italian gluten-free or Paleo diet? Then you should take a look at this Paleo Italian cookbook by Cindy Barbieri! Her book contains a great collection of her family recipes from appetizers to brunch, from Tuscan favourites to Seafood main courses and many more delicious recipes! I am totally spoilt for choice and I want to cook every recipe!
Cindy took 4 years to write this book and she has taken the dishes her Nana made for her family and transformed her recipes to fit a Paleo lifestyle. I’ve always thought that Italian staples are pasta, bread and pizza. So it is very interesting to know recipes for a Paleo diet!
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 500g clams, scrubbed
- 250ml dry white wine
- 225g Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- ¼ flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 350g halibut, cut into 5 cm pieces
- 250g large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 250ml chicken or vegetable broth
- Place a large cast-iron pot or soup pot over medium heat. When hot, add the olive oil.
- Add in onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Increase the heat to high, then add the mussels, clams and wine and cook, stirring frequently, until the shells begin to open.
- Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half, then add the tomatoes and parsley. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the halibut, shrimp, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Add the broth and simmer until the fish is cooked, about 7 minutes.
- If you prefer, drizzle extra-virgin olive oil on the top of the soup.
I was unable to find clams and mussels with shells and ended up buying frozen seafood. The soup is good but if I was able to find the seafood with shells, I think the soup would be even sweeter. Her recipe is very easy to follow and very delicious too. All my family love it! Now I can’t wait to try out another recipe of hers.
Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher for free. However, they have not paid me for this review, and they do not exercise any editorial control over my review or anything else on this site. Contains Amazon affiliate link.