Recently, I came across the Bake in Black cookbook which was written by a musician and a food journalist in East London. They started started life as a blog from a kitchen and took a song or an album title which then inspired them to create a recipe. It draws influence from the world of rock and heavy metal to create awe-inspiring edible tributes in the kitchen. There are more than 60 sweet indulgences in this cookbook.
From cakes and brownies, biscuits and cookies, through to doughnuts, pies, tarts and desserts, Bake in Black features contemporary recipes alongside time-honoured classics. It is available at musicroom for £14.99.
After browsing through the book, I found that some ingredients like astronaut ice cream difficult to find in a supermarket but items like marshmallow spread can be found from big supermarkets that sell American food.
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 100g unsalted butter, diced
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1 jar marshmallow spread with food colouring for the filling
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl, then add the butter. Rub it into the flour until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs, then mix in the sugar.
- Add the egg and a little of the milk, until it forms a slightly sticky dough.
- Roll into around 16 balls, then put it on the baking sheets. Flatten each with the tines of a fork, then bake for around 12 minutes at 160°c.
- To make the filling, add the colourings until you have the desired shades. Sandwich the cooled cookies together with the marshmallow colours, then eat immediately!
This is so delicious! They’re a bit like S’mores except the marshmallow is not toasted over the barbecue. We all love it! I will be baking these again and both children had fun in the kitchen too!
Now musicroom is giving this Bake in Black cookbook worth £14.99 to one of my followers! So good luck and enter through Gleam! Also, remember to check out the rest of my giveaways!
- This giveaway is open to all UK residents only.
- ONE winner will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail within 3 days of competition ends, if they do not respond within 28 days another winner may be chosen.
- Your details will be passed to musicroom, but will not be passed onto any third parties by ET Speaks From Home.
- The prize will be sent directly to the winner from musicroom.
- Delivery is not in the hands of ET Speaks From Home’s Blog and may take some time to arrive.
- Any damage to the prize is not ET Speaks From Home’s responsibility.
- The company reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of a similar type/value if the prize above is not available.
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
- Competition starts on 26/08/2015 12 am – 27/09/2015 11.59pm.
Disclosure: We received the sample for the purposes of writing this review however all thoughts and opinions remain our own.