Caramel Almond Crisp is a cookie recipe from The Secret of Cookies by Gu Huixue. I absolutely love this book my friend bought for me in Singapore and have been trying out many of her recipes!
In her recipe, she used cake flour which I replaced with plain flour and I have also altered the quantity of the flour from 200g to 300g.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 120g butter, softened and cut into dices
- 100g icing sugar
- 1g salt
- 60g/3 egg yolks, beaten
- 300g plain flour, sifted
Ingredients for the caramel almond mix:
- 60g fresh cream
- 50g caster sugar
- 25g honey
- 25g butter
- 80g almond flakes
- Whisk the butter, icing sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg yolks in 2 – 3 batches and beat well after each addition.
- Add the plain flour into the mixture until it is well mixed.
- Place the dough on baking paper and flatten the dough into a 0.5 cm thickness using a rolling pin. If it is too sticky, then add more flour on to the surface. Place the flattened dough onto a baking tray.
- Use a toothpick to prick holes in the dough to prevent the dough from baking unevenly. Bake for 20 minutes at 160°C for a fan assisted oven and take out the half-baked dough.
- While baking the dough, boil the fresh cream, caster sugar and honey until the sugar begins to caramelize and remove from the heat. Add the butter and almond flakes into the caramel syrup.
- Add the caramel almond onto the half-baked dough. Return the caramel almond dough into the oven to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Once it turns golden brown, quickly take it out and cut diagonally into diamond shapes.
It is very delicious! Do try them out!