This is another recipe from The Secret of Cookies by Gu Huixue. In her book she has a recipe to bake almond tuiles. Instead of using all almond flakes, I am using a mix of sunflower seeds and almond flakes. Also one of the ingredients is cake flour which I replaced with plain flour.
- 25g plain flour (sifted)
- 15g white strong bread flour (sifted)
- 75g softened butter (diced)
- 125g icing sugar
- 3 egg white
- 100g almond flakes
- 100g sunflower seeds
- Heat the butter (like how you would melt a chocolate bar) until it has melted.
- Mix plain flour, bread flour and icing sugar together and add the egg white. Whisk until it is well mixed.
- Add the melted butter into the mixture and stir well.
- Add in the almond flakes and sunflower seeds and mix well.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- As I don’t have the portioning template frame for making the tuiles, I used a cookie cutter by filling it up with cold mixture. See the photo.
- Bake in the oven at 150°С (fan assisted oven) for 20 minutes.
- Quickly remove it, trim around the edge and either drape the tuiles over a rolling pin or on the grill wire as shown.
This is a very crunchy tuile filled with lots of nuts and seeds. My husband and I love the crunchiness! The colour of this tuile is not very appealing as it looked a little greenish due to the sunflower seeds, but they taste great. If you prefer other types of nuts, you could give it a go! Good luck!