Yesterday, I was looking at fruit tarts from the supermarket and was inspired to try to make some for myself. I have always wanted to bake bite-size fruit tarts but know that getting the pastry right would be quite challenging. So I bought ready-made short crust for this first attempt and a tin of fruit salad.
- A roll of short crust pastry
- A tin of fruit salad in juice or peach slices in juice
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 50 gram of caster sugar
- A handful of flaked almonds
- A little plain flour for dusting
- Butter for brushing
- Vanilla sugar/icing sugar
- Medium sized cookie cutter
- Cupcake baking tray
- Roller pin
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Unroll the pasty and use the cookie cutter to cut 12 – 20 tart bases. Dust it with plain flour to stop it from sticking. Roll the leftover crust with the roller pin to cut more bases if there is enough.
- Brush the cupcake tray with butter and place the tart base on the tray.
- Drain the fruit salad and add caster sugar and cinnamon with it. Mix it well.
- Spoon the fruit salad mixture on top of the base and add crushed almond.
- Brush the side of the tart with melted butter.
- Put in the oven to bake for 25 minutes then allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with vanilla sugar/icing sugar.
These Fruit & Almond tarts are great for parties. It is simple to bake and delicious to eat.