My mother in law is an expert at cooking char siu pork. She gave me her recipe seven years ago but I had never tried to cook it. This is one of my husband’s favourite dishes and he gets to eat it whenever he visits his mum. So I decided it is about time that I would try to learn!
Choosing the right part of the pork meat is very important! My mother in law suggests to use pork shoulder as it is very tender. Otherwise Tenderloin is fine.
I tried the recipe with both tenderloin and pork shoulder. I found that the pork shoulder is so much tastier and nicer to eat.
- 3 tablespoons of Hoi Sin Barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons of crushed Yellow Bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- chopped fresh garlic
- a pinch of salt
- tenderloin/shoulder pork
- Add all ingredients in a ziplock bag and marinate overnight
- Preheat the oven at 190 degrees
- Place the pork in for 25 minutes and flip over for another 25 minutes. Try to adjust the time according to the thickness of the meat.
This is cooked with tenderloin.