Lunar New Year is also know as Chinese Spring Festival. It is a quite a long story as to why it is called Spring Festival but the short version is that it is mainly based on mainland Chinese ruling. Spring 春 is widely used on the Chinese New Year theme or Auspicious words on Festival Couplets (New Year’s wishes on pieces of red papers) like:
迎春接福 Yíng chún jiē fú – Greet the New Year and encounter happiness
春回大地 chūn huí dà dì – Spring has come back to the earth
Now I am going to show you how to use paper to cut out 春 paper cutting.
- a sheet of red square paper
- sharp scissor
1. Fold the paper along the midpoints and all the diagonals as shown below. Note: do not draw on the paper. I have simply drawn on it for easier visibility for the photo.
2. Fold it and stand it up like a triangle.
3. Now fold in the middle to make a triangle and draw the word like this:
Note: use a pencil, not use black marker pen to draw. This was just for the purposes of the photo as a pencil would not show up very well on the photo.
4. Cut out the pieces as shown.
Now you can either hang it or place it on your desk or even decorate it with gold lines around the word.
If you want to know more about the rest of the Chinese New Year Craft, do check out my Pinterest board: http://www.pinterest.com/etspeaksfrom/chinese-new-year/