In Chinese culture, feng shui plays a major part in our lives as many believe that if feng shui is used properly, it will bring us good fortune, protect us from bad luck and more. Whilst there are imbalances of yin/yang chi of the space, it will create bad feng shui. Sometimes it will bring disaster and even, death.
In reality, it is not always possible to achieve perfect feng shui for everyone living in the household. For example, the layout of your home and each family member’s KUA numbers will influence their best feng shui position.
If you have a choice of bedrooms, select the one that is located in your most auspicious location. A good sleeping direction enables you to tap into your wealth direction and can lead to good fortune. Do you want to learn more about your auspicious location, then pop over to this taboo post to learn how to calculate your KUA numbers!
If it is not possible to get your bedroom, you should try to at least get a bedroom which corresponds to one of your four good directions. Of course, it is not always possible to get everything perfect for everyone, but there is no need to worry.
Your sleeping direction represents a very high priority in feng shui. To benefit from the best sleeping direction, the top of your head must be pointing to the source of good fortune and not your feet. Today, I am sharing a list of bedroom taboos for you to observe and avoid:
- Do not let the bed float in the middle of the room without any wall behind it. You must remember that a solid wall is like a mountain protecting you from harm. Hence you will benefit from a solid wall behind the bed. Otherwise, your sleep is imbalanced. You can read more tips on Feng Shui bedroom tips on the sleep tech firm Simba’s website.
- Do not have the bed share a wall with a toilet. We Chinese believe that toilets are negative places because chi (good energy) is similar to water and escapes down the pipes and drains. It is said to be the entrance and exit for ghosts. In fact, toilets are the worst feng shui location in the whole house. Always have the toilet door closed even when it is not in use. Also, do not have your head or feet pointed to a toilet.
- Do not let your feet point directly at the door as this is the death position. Imagine you walk into the bedroom, you open the door and you see someone’s feet. It just corresponds to opening a coffin and the person is lying in a coffin. I know that sometimes it is not possible, to counteract it, you could hang a lot of clothing to disguise the door as a wall or use a screen to block out the door instead.
- Do not let any mirrors face the bed directly. In feng shui, mirrors can be great energizers or they can create big disasters. They are great in the dining and living rooms. However, mirrors in the bedroom will cause havoc in a couple’s marriage and love life.
- Some superstitious people believe that mirrors can trap spirits, hence when there is a funeral in the house, all the mirrors and religious statues have to be covered in red paper. This is to avoid the deceased spirits getting trapped in it. They believe spirits trapped inside the mirror will cause a lot of harm to the living. For ladies who do a lot of makeup, it is also advised to shut the makeup box lids with mirrors in them.
- Personally, I do think, the shock of suddenly seeing oneself reflected in the mirror upon waking up can be very disturbing, especially in a dark room. Hence it is best to avoid it. Mirrors on the ceiling are also a no-no.
- Do not sleep with the bed headboard directly under a window behind you as it is believed that energy flows out of the room through these openings.
- Do not sleep directly under a beam as it symbolises splitting the bed into two or a heavy burden for the couple to carry. If possible, move the bed away from the beam or create a false ceiling to make the beam symbolically disappear.
- Do not place your wedding photo above your bed as it symbolises lying in your own grave. It will cause bad chi. My mum has always warned me about these, this is why my wedding and family photo never hangs above the bed. They are either on the side table or other walls. You can place paintings featuring your children and/or ripe fruits as they signify the happy result of your relationship.
- Do not have a television set directly facing the bed as it will create extremely bad chi for the couple to be separated for long periods. Television sets are similar to the effect of mirrors. If you have a television set in your bedroom, cover it with a cloth before going to sleep.
- Do not have a massive bed that has two mattresses as it is considered very bad for a marriage, it will cause the couple to eventually separate. If you both require a bigger bed, maybe consider having two separate beds, or even having separate bedrooms for each other.
- Do not put live plants and flowers in the bedroom. It creates bad chi.
- Do not put anything that suggests water, like an aquarium, a basin or a painting of a lake. It causes misunderstandings and sleepless nights.
Hope you are able to observe these taboos to benefit from good fortune!
Disclosure: We received the sample for the purposes of writing this review, however, all thoughts and opinions remain our own.