Meccano MeccaSpider is an interactive robotic creepy crawly spider that is made from space-age materials. It can be controlled using built-in buttons, or with the free Meccano app! It also comes with built-in games. It is suitable for aged 10 and above.
This MeccaSpider by far, is the easiest Meccano range toys that I have built (I have previously built the MicroNoid set, Lamborghini Huracan Spyder, 4×4 Off-Road Truck set and Monster 1200 S). It does look quite complicated but in fact it is straightforward and there’s nothing really awkward to fix. The coloured instructions are very easy to follow and each step is clearly described.
It comes with 291 parts, 2 hand tools, 1 decal sheet, MeccaSpider brain module, 1 IR sensor module, 2 smart motor modules and instructions. It requires 5 C batteries which are not included. It will take at least one to three hours to build. First, we built the body and then we built individual legs before placing the cable onto the body. Once it is built, it measures 46 cm long by 41 cm wide by 19 cm tall and it is very heavy too. You’ll need two hands to pick this arachnid up! Now you can interact with its distinctive personality and discover what MeccaSpider can do!
There are seven different modes on MeccaSpider:
- Autonomous: It will always start on this mode when first powered on. It moves on its own to explore its surroundings, playing basic songs and sound effects.
- Prowl: To select this mode, press the Forward button five times. It will be on the hunt and it will move about quickly and attack. I do find that poor lighting will affect the IR sensor.
- Excitement: When its IR sensor sees something new nine times, MeccaSpider will enter into this mode.
- Reclusive: To select this mode, press Backward button five times. MeccaSpider will back up and cower away from potential threats.
- Wild & Wacky: To select this mode, press Left or Right button five times. It’s happily confused as it turns about and explores what is around it.
- Guard: There are two type of guards either a Basic guard where it stays in place or Patrol guard where it actively patrols the immediate area. When the IR sensor detects movement, it will attack whatever it sees!
- Built-in Game: Repeat after me and Venom attack. Repeat after me is like a Simon Says game where you repeat the sequence. For the Venom attack, you have to fill the water in the water tank that can be found below the MeccaSpider’s head. Play a round of spider-roulette by gathering in a circle with friends and sit very still. Then see who gets sprayed first.
Building this robotic toy is very enjoyable and a great STEM toy that encourages development of skills in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. It is very solid and a well-made toy that should last for a long time. It also challenges children to interact with it. MeccaSpider features an IR sensor that detects movement so it can engage, pursue and apprehend whatever target enters its path. This is good value for money and I would recommend it for Halloween, a Christmas gift or presents. This is available to buy now from good toy retailers and Amazon.
Disclosure: We received the sample for the purposes of writing this review, however all thoughts and opinions remain our own. We have included an Amazon affiliate link to the product. If you click on this and buy, we may earn a small commission.