The summer holidays are almost over so it’s time to start planning for another one! Having just come back from Singapore to visit family, we would love to plan for one closer to home next time.
Our children are 6 and 5 years old and so it’s important for us to think about:
- Overall travel time, with convenient airport location
- Keeping the kids entertained
- Family friendly facilities
- Overall budget
- Holiday availability during kids school holidays
With this in mind, we are currently looking at holidays to Portugal is currently top of the list and ticks all these boxes. We looked at the First Choice holidays website and found many options for family-friendly resorts. Portugal offers a reported 300 days of sun a year and there are 3 main areas for a package holiday: Algarve, Madeira and Porto Santo Island. We’re looking at Algarve and a direct flight from Birmingham to Faro is only 3 hours away – that’s quicker than for us to drive to Cornwall!
Here are our top 5 things to do on our itinerary:
- Waterparks – our kids love waterparks and there are four in the Algarve so we’re really spoilt for choice!
- Day trip to a city – at just over a couple of hours away for each, it would be shame to not visit the capital of Portugal, Lisbon, or pop over to Seville, Spain.
- Dolphin dream adventure – we’ve taken numerous trips to zoos and sea life centres but you can’t beat seeing dolphins out in the wild across the breathtaking views of the Algarve coastline.
- Eat seafood – we love all kinds of seafood in our household and food is often one of the highlights of any of our holidays and the Algarve offers fabulous seafood choices.
- Explore the dungeons at Silves Castle – for us, our holidays are not all about the beach as we do try to experience local history and culture.
Have you been to Portugal? What would you recommend to see and do for families?
Disclosure: This is a featuring post.