Sweetheart sugar shortbread is a recipe I used from Cathryn Dresser’s book called Let’s Bake. I didn’t use a heart cookie cutter nor put sugar on the shortbread, hence it is named plain and simply Shortbread Biscuits.
- 200g unsalted butter, slightly soft
- 100g golden caster sugar plus extra for sprinkling (we didn’t add any)
- 300g plain flour plus a little extra for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180c/160c/gas mark 4. Line 1-2 baking trays with non-stick baking parchment.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until the mixture is smooth pale and creamy.
- Sift in the flour and salt, then beat the mixture until it begins to form a dough.
- Tip out the dough and roll it out with a rolling pin until it is about the thickness of two pound coins. Then cut out your shape with your cookie cutter. Re-roll the trimmings to cut out more shapes if necessary.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until they are a pale gold colour.
- Sprinkle the hot biscuits with caster sugar then carefully move to a wire rack to cool. We omitted this step as the biscuits themselves are quite sweet.