Vincent van Gogh is one of the most well-known post-Impressionist artists, who was not truly appreciated in his lifetime, left one of the most startling artistic legacies of the late nineteenth century. I have been fascinated with his works ever since we visited the Van Gogh Museum during our trip to Amsterdam two years ago. This troubled genius’s “Portrait du Dr Gachet” painting sold for a record $82.5 million in 1990, 100 years after his death!
Through this ‘A Portrait of His Life and Work’ book, we follow the path that led him from his early attempts to forge a career, via his initial foray into the world of art during which he produced his famous earthy portrayals of Dutch peasants to the inspiration of colour and new styles that he discovered in the late 1880s in Paris, to the sunlight of Provence and his final days in the village of Auvers-sur-Oise.
This book also included rare documents such as letters the artist sent to his brother and sister, the medical analysis of his illness and the announcement card of the artist’s death. It is almost like bringing the Van Gogh Museum to your home. The book is gloriously illustrated with 130 colour and black & white photographs and sketches, such as his favourite Sunflowers, Starry Night and his self-portraits.
I really enjoy reading this book. It is great to keep on the bookshelf and would recommend it. It is available to pre-order now via Carlton Books or any good book store.
Now Carlton Books is giving this Vincent van Gogh: A Portrait of His Life and Work book worth £25 to TWO of my followers! So good luck and enter through Gleam! Also, remember to check out the rest of my giveaways!
- This giveaway is open to all UK residents only, and you must be over 18 years of age to enter.
- TWO winners will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
- The winners will be contacted by e-mail within 3 days of competition ends. If they do not respond within 28 days another winner may be chosen.
- Your details will be passed to Carlton Books, but will not be passed onto any third parties by ET Speaks From Home.
- The prize will be sent directly to the winners from Carlton Books.
- Delivery is not in the hands of ET Speaks From Home’s Blog and may take some time to arrive.
- Any damage to the prize is not ET Speaks From Home’s responsibility.
- The company reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of a similar type/value if the prize above is not available.
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
- By entering, you are agreeing that your forename and last initial (Facebook profile) can be shared on the Gleam application if you are drawn as the winner.
- Competition starts on 01/02/2019 12 am – 05/03/2019 11.59pm.
Disclosure: We received the sample for the purposes of writing this review, however, all thoughts and opinions remain our own. We have included an Amazon affiliate link to the product. If you click on this and buy, we may earn a small commission.