During the summer, we had this egg and vinegar science project where I showed my children how acidic the vinegar is that it able to dissolve the egg shells.
To do this project, you will need:
- Big glass jar with big opening and cap
- Fill half of the jar with vinegar.
- Drop the egg slowly into the jar and top it up.
- Watch the bubbles around the eggshell. Cover the cap and leave it for 24 hours.
- Use the spoon carefully to spoon out the egg. If there are still undissolved eggshell, pour out the old vinegar and add new vinegar in it and wait for a few more hours.
- Do remember to use jar with a big opening/neck as the egg will expand. If the opening is too small, your egg will not slide out.
- This is how it looked when the vinegar dissolved the eggshell. My daughter is holding a naked egg.