We made Chinese New Year Drum! This coming 8th February 2016, we are welcoming the Year of the Monkey and saying goodbye to Year of the Goat/Sheep. The Monkey is the ninth animal out of 12 in the Chinese zodiac. Take a look at my previous post if you want to familiarise yourself with the Chinese zodiac, and check out how we used simple crafts to teach children about it.
As this coming year is the Year of the Monkey (猴), we are learning how to write “monkey” in Chinese at home. Also not forgetting learning a couple more Chinese New Year themed words like 福 (Happiness), 吉 (Lucky) and 春 (Spring).
To make this drum, you could either get the drum kit from Baker Ross or use these materials:
- Small round boxes with lids
- Sticks or straws
- Paints & paintbrushes
- Paint the boxes and lids. Wait until they are all dried up before you write the words on the lids. Decorate to your preference.
- Made a big hole on the box to hold the stick or straw and secure with glue.
- Thread the ribbon on both sides of the box and place the beads before tying a knot.
- Now you are ready to play with it! Check out the video here: https://instagram.com/p/BAWwvyFSBky/
This is very easy to make but will require a lot of patience! It is also a great way to learn to write some Chinese characters.
If you would like to learn more Chinese New Year crafts, pop over to my Pinterest’s Chinese New Year craft board for some ideas!