This coming half term, why not get your family this awesome Abominable movie to watch, which is available to buy now on Digital Download, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment!
We have received the DVD format which is perfect for this coming half term to watch on a rainy day or a road trip! This DVD contains 93 minutes of action-packed heartwarming adventure including two original short movies, deleted scenes, animating Abominable, Your Yeti care guide and much more.
Abominable is brought to us by the creators of How To Train Your Dragon, and has a great voice cast, including Chloe Bennet, Sarah Paulson, Eddie Izzard, Tenzing Norgay Trainor, Albert Tsai, Tsai Chin and Michelle Wong.
The story is set in China and it is about Yi who is a teenager struggling with life after losing her father and now lives with her mother and grandmother. She works every hour possible in a number of different odd-jobs to save up to try and take a trip that her dad had planned to take with her. Then one day, while she was in her den, she discovers a Yeti, who has escaped from a science lab. Along with her friends Jin and Peng, Yi embarks on an epic journey to return her Yeti, who they named Everest, to his home in the Himalayas and his family whilst being chased after by a wealthy man Burnish, zoologist Dr Zara and their squad of trackers. They soon discover that the Yeti has some powers, from producing huge blueberries to riding waves of flowers travelling across fields. I am not going to give too much of the story away, so do watch it!
We all enjoyed this family movie and fell in love with this big fluffy Yeti. He has such a lovely, fun personality. Thanks to Universal Pictures Home Entertainment for sending us this cute soft toy Everest. The quality of the animation is top quality. I would recommend it and children will love the characters and the storyline.
This bonus features on the 4K Ultra HD, Blu-Ray and DVD also come with these extras:
- Marooned – Tells the story of a cantankerous and selfish robot named C-0R13. Stranded on an abandoned lunar outpost, C-0R13 longs to return to Earth. With a partially built ship and his last power source, this determined robot will stop at nothing to achieve his goal.
- Show and Tell – Back home in the Himalayan Mountains, Everest puts on a magical show-and-tell for his fellow yetis after he receives a special care package from Yin, Jing and Peng.
- Deleted Scenes with Intros by Writer/Director Jill Culton and Co-Director Todd Wilderman.
- Making a Myth – In this entertaining ‘making of’ we learn from the filmmakers and stars how they brought the heartfelt and whimsical story of Abominable to life – from the use of magic, music and humour, to the themes of family and nature.
- Animating Abominable – From production design to storyboarding and animating, the creative team behind Abominable will take us through the design and animation of the film.
- Meet the Cast – This fun featurette introduces the audience to the cast of Abominable and the characters they play. Learn first-hand from the actors what their personal inspiration was for the role and how they went about performing the voice work.
- Your Yeti Care Guide – Chloe, Albert and Tenzing provide tips and tricks to caring for your newly adopted “Yeti”. In this case, YETI stands for pet – dog, kitten and bird.
- Courage to Dream – This featurette explores the character Yi, the strong, independent and untraditional female lead at the centre of Abominable. Actor Chloe Bennet and the filmmakers discuss what makes Yi special and why she is the ultimate role model for young girls and boys today!
- An Abominable Tour with Chloe Bennet – Like her father before her, Yi dreams of travelling across China to see the many beautiful, natural and culturally significant locations featured in Abominable. Chloe Bennet, the voice of Yi, will take viewers on their own magical journey.
- Everest’s Talk Box – Shooting on the DreamWorks Animation campus, they bring in some real kids to meet the man behind the voice of Everest, Joe Izzo, and the audio team from Abominable to learn about all the cool tech that went into Everest’s voice.
- Cooking with Nai Nai – Can Tsai Chin, the voice of Nai Nai, learn to make Nai Nai’s famous pork buns in real life? Let’s find out!
- How to Abominable – Bring Everest, Yi and Nai Nai to life in your home with this How-to-Draw with a difference. Not only will we show you how to recreate your favourite characters from Abominable, but also how to magically bring them to life through a homemade Chinese style lantern!
- You can Speak Yeti-ese – Inspired by foreign language courses, viewers can learn how to speak Yeti-ese with these easy teaching guides hosted by Chloe Bennet.
- Nai Nai Says – Narrated by Nai Nai, Yi’s wise grandma gives us life lessons on how to be a strong, independent, modern woman.
- Feature Commentary – Writer/Director Jill Culton, Co-Director Todd Wilderman, Producer Suzanne Buirgy, Producer Peilin Chou, Production Designer Max Boas, Visual Effects Supervisor Mark Edwards, and Head of Character Animation John Hill.
Have fun this coming half term break!
Disclosure: We received the DVD and soft toy for the purposes of writing this review, however, all thoughts and opinions remain our own. We have included Amazon affiliate links to the products. If you click on this and buy, we may earn a small commission.