Is composite decking environmentally friendly for family?
For many families, a deck is a must-have. It is the key to a great outdoor space for relaxation. It can also serve as a comfortable space to host and hang out with guests, friends and family members. Wooden decks, unfortunately, have to undergo frequent repairs and replacement. Finally, due to the hazardous waste generated by this high-maintenance process, it can cause serious damage to the environment.
If you are seeking an eco-friendly decking option, then look no further than composite decks. They are ideal for family use.
A great advantage of composite decks is that they are aesthetically pleasing, durable, low-maintenance and environmentally sustainable. With a composite deck, you wouldn’t have to worry about expensive repairs or staining. Furthermore, there is no need to use toxic chemical cleaners, sealants or stains to elongate its lifespan or maintain the deck’s beautiful appearance. By getting a composite deck, you wouldn’t have to worry about the problem of rot, splinter, wood-damaging insects.
It may interest you to know that composite decking contains a great amount (80-95%) of recycled materials. In direct contrast to traditional wood decking, trees aren’t utilised in the manufacturing process. This means the usage of composite decking is a good way of conserving our natural environment and protecting wildlife on the planet. The manufacturing process of composite decking also prevents the loss of waste to landfills.
A grim statistics by World Resources Institute showed that 3.7 million hectares of trees had been felled within the last three years. More than 50% of deforestation and wood logging occur illegally—activities as such cause serious harm to the well-being of our planet.
Also, in the production of composite decking, there is a conscious effort to reduce carbon emission and footprint reduction by the drastic reduction of energy for the manufacturing and supply of materials. This means composite products are sourced from and manufactured close to production facilities to reduce the fuel utilised in the transportation of raw materials.
The primary ingredients of composite decks are wood mill scraps, recycled plastics, amongst other sustainably sourced materials. Usage of recycled plastics and other reclaimed materials save over 60,000 tons of waste from being dumped in waste incinerators or landfills. In addition to this, composite decking also stops further degradation of natural resources and deforestation. Composite decks are toxic-free, and hazardous chemicals are not included in their manufacturing process.
Is Composite Decking an Excellent Investment?
Yes, indeed. In the long term, getting composite decking is a great investment. The following are highly beneficial features of composite decking that dispel any doubts regarding its distinctiveness and superior quality:
- The cost of maintenance is extremely low
- Weather resistance and environmentally friendly
- Extremely durable with a life span of more than 16 years, far exceeding that of wood decking.
- It is impervious to moisture and resistant to mould as a result of its plastic feature. Composite decking can’t be damaged by moisture exposure.
- It is light in weight and has a unique lock design, making for easy installation.
- It comes in wide varieties of style and aesthetic design, catering to a wide range of tastes.
What Is the Best Way to Keep Composite Decking Neat and tidy?
The truth is although composite decking is known for its low-maintenance feature, it is important to develop a simple maintenance routine to keep your deck neat and beautiful.
Here are some tips:
- Composite decking is moisture resistant. However, great care will help in maintaining this feature to its maximum capabilities. We advise you to prevent ponding water from pooling on your deck.
- The simplest way to keep your composite deck clean is by sweeping from time to time. Sweeping aids in the removal of grime, dirt and dust stuck between holes.
- A simple wipe with a soft brush and soapy water solution will remove spills and hard dirt. After washing, rinse your deck with clean water and mop it.
- In conclusion, composite decking is the most eco-friendly and low-maintenance decking option available for family use. It would be best to consider it for your home because of its durability, resilience, ease of installation and maintenance.
Disclosure: This is a featured post.