Happy April Fools day! Note, this is not a joke! I have a copy of the Joyful Mending book for my readers to win! Joyful Mending is a book that shows you how to fix old items of clothing, linens and household objects by turning tears and flaws into beautiful features. This book is published by Tuttle Publishing and it is available to buy from good book retailers and Amazon.
This book is written by Noriko Misumi, who teaches you her philosophy of mending and reusing items based on the age-old Japanese concepts of mindfulness and Wabi Sabi (an appreciation of old and imperfect things). In her book, she shows you how to:
- Repair any kind of fabric that is torn, ripped or stained—whether knitted, woven or cotton
- Work with damaged flat or curved surfaces to make them aesthetically pleasing again
- Create repairs that blend in, as well as bold or whimsical visible repairs
- Darn your handmade or expensive gloves, sweaters and socks to make them look great again
I am not into sewing but I do like to fix whenever I can to save a few quid! Also, my son has achieved quite a few merits badges for his school blazer that I need to do an invisible stitch on it so avoid it looking untidy.
Inside this book, it shows you different approaches to mending holes, worn down areas and stains on fabrics, clothes, bags, scarves, socks, slippers, soft toys etc. You can add colourful patterns or do an invisible mend etc. She also shows brief instructions on how the mend was achieved. At the back of the book, it shows you the basic stitches, like Chain stitch, Whip stitch, French Knot stitch, in black and white for the mending techniques. This is a very interesting and useful book that will come in handy! I love her ideas and inspirations of her works. I will definitely try it out whenever I have the chance!
Now, thanks to Tuttle publishing who has sent an extra copy, I will be giving someone a chance to win this book. With the current conditions under COVID-19, this competition will last a lot longer than usual. I do hope by June, the conditions will be better for me to go out there to post it through! So good luck and enter through Gleam! Also, remember to check out the rest of my giveaways!
Joyful Mending Review & Giveaway
- This giveaway is open to all UK residents only, and you must be over 18 years of age to enter.
- ONE winner will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail within 3 days of competition ends. If they do not respond within 28 days another winner may be chosen.
- The prize will be sent directly to the winner from ET Speaks From Home.
- Delivery is not in the hands of ET Speaks From Home’s Blog and may take some time to arrive.
- Any damage to the prize is not ET Speaks From Home’s responsibility.
- The company reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of a similar type/value if the prize above is not available.
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
- By entering, you are agreeing that your forename and last initial (Facebook profile) can be shared on the Gleam application if you are drawn as the winner.
- Competition starts on 01/04/2020 12 am – 07/06/2020 11.59pm.
Disclosure: I received this sample from the publisher for free. However, they have not paid me for this review, and they do not exercise any editorial control over my review or anything else on this site. We have included an Amazon affiliate link to the product. If you click on this and buy, we may earn a small commission.