Making Dumpling Craft for Dragon Boat Festival. It was the Dragon Boat Festival again, which is also known as the Duanwu Festival. This year it fell on the 18th June 2018 which is the 5th day of the 5th month of the traditional lunar calendar.
As some of you may remember, I help run Lichfield Mandarin Club which started six years ago and we often do arts and crafts with the children, especially with themes based on Chinese festivals. So this school term, one of the mummies Ailin organized some party games for the children.
The Dragon Boat festival involves eating dumplings (zongzi – sticky rice) and racing dragon boats! If you want to know what the dumplings look like, check out the post I wrote four years ago. This time around, we are going to make dumpling crafts instead of making the real zongzi with the children.
To do this craft, you will require:
- A3 coloured cardboard
- Coloured strings
- Sweets/chocolates for the filling
- Cut the coloured cardboard into strips measuring 7cm by 28cm.
- Cut a corner off. See the photo.
- Now fold it into a triangle/pyramid and wrap around it.
- Before sealing it, place a chocolate or sweetie for a surprise!
- Use string to tie your dumpling craft.
- You can either write some auspicious words on a piece of paper or colour/decorate your zongzi/dumpling craft!
If you are still looking for more craft ideas, why not check out our paper dragon boat race post!