This December, we have been busy reading two fantastic books from Scholastic Book Club: Lost in the Snow and Mystery at the Ice Hotel. These books are just perfect for my children aged seven and nine. Ms C loves animals and her favourite pets are cats. Lost in the Snow is just the book for her.
This is the Special 10th Anniversary edition Lost in the Snow and comes with a sparkly cover. This is our first time reading this book by Holly Webb. She has written a series of animal stories which we are very much looking forward to reading!
Fluff is the main character in this book. She is the smallest and weakest of the farm kittens, but she surprises everyone with her strength and spirit, and soon she and her brothers and sisters are ready for new homes. While her siblings are adopted, nobody seems to want Fluff, and after a heartbreaking encounter with a little girl called Ella, she gives up on her dream of a loving home and flees the farm out into the big scary world. This is very easy to read and understand by young children. Ms C enjoyed reading it with big print. She loves that it has a happy ending.
Mystery at the Ice Hotel is written by Sara Grant. This is the second book from the Chasing Danger series. After surviving a kidnapping attempt in the Maldives, Chase and Mackenzie are off to the Ice Hotel in Iceland! But as soon as they arrive, accidents start to occur that seem targeted to scare or worse, seriously hurt the guests. When a body shows up frozen in an ice bed, it’s up to the two girls to figure out who is behind the attacks before anyone else gets hurt! This is an action-pack adventure about these two young girls. This book is suitable for older children. Once he got over the fact the heroes are girls, my son really enjoyed the book because it’s of the exciting nature of the story. He loves the Ice Hotel idea hopes to visit Iceland one day.
Now Scholastic is giving these books to one of my followers! But before you enter, have you checked out their latest competition? Can you help to inspire more people to give books this Christmas? Tell Scholastic which book you’d choose to give a child and why using the hashtag #GiveABook by 16th December 2016 and they will pick three favourite posts and donate a book-laden sack worth £50 to a school or nursery of the winners’ choice.
Did you know that if you shop at Scholastic, they will donate 20% worth of FREE BOOKS back to the shopper’s nominated nursery or school for every order over £10, so schools can build up their rewards and spend them on free books whenever they want? To browse the guide and to buy through the online Scholastic shop please click here to visit.
- This giveaway is open to all UK residents only.
- ONE winner will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail within 3 days of competition ends. If they do not respond within 28 days another winner may be chosen.
- Your details will be passed to Scholastic, but will not be passed onto any third parties by ET Speaks From Home.
- The prize will be sent directly to the winner from Scholastic.
- Delivery is not in the hands of ET Speaks From Home’s Blog and may take some time to arrive.
- Any damage to the prize is not ET Speaks From Home’s responsibility.
- The company reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of a similar type/value if the prize above is not available.
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
- Competition starts on 06/12/2016 12 am – 06/01/2017 11.59pm.
Disclosure: We received the samples for the purposes of writing this review however all thoughts and opinions remain our own.