Make your own R2D2 Costume for World Book Day! In time to celebrate the World Book Day on 2nd March 2017, Egmont is challenging us again (very excited!) to create a Star Wars themed costume and also sent us a range of Star Wars books for review.
By now, many of you will know that we are big fans of Star Wars. We have watched all the eight episodes and can’t wait for the next one! Last year, we made one of the latest Star Wars character, BB8 from Episode VII: The Forces Awakens using DuckTape and cardboard.
This year, we have gone back in time to make a R2D2 costume. He is such a cute character and easy to make. I very much prefer to make my own costume than to buy it from a shop. I had a quick rummage around our house and found a big sheet of foam, spare plastic bowl and a lot of DuckTape! The plastic bowl used to be my baking bowl which is very cheap to replace. They cost less than a pound.
To make this R2D2 costume, you will need:
- Plastic bowl – for the head
- Large sheet of foam or cardboard box – for body
- Red paper
- Foam: black, A3 size dark blue foam
- Plastic cap
- Silver and White DuckTape
- Black and blue marker pen
- Hot glue gun
- Scissors/pen knife
To make the head, cover the plastic bowl with silver DuckTape. If you prefer, you could buy silver spray to paint it. For me, using DuckTape was quicker and convenient.
Cut out strips of blue foam, a small red circle and a big black circle. Then use the black maker pen to outline the edge of the pieces. Use the hot glue gun to glue all the foam onto the bowl. Cover the small plastic cap with silver DuckTape and stick it onto the bowl. Over here, I used the base of a used coloured pencil holder for the scanner instead of plastic cap. It depends what you have at home.
For the body, cover the whole board with White DuckTape. Next, cut out the blue foam pieces, outline the edges with a black marker pen, then use the hot glue gun to glue it. To finish, use the blue pen to add stripes on the body.
Then make a neck strap using DuckTape to be able to wear it. This costume took us around 2 hours to make! It is simple and yet fun! Hope you like our design!
This is a short video of how Mr K wearing the costume:
We have received these five books for review and they are:
- Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space The Steal (3rd)
- Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space The Dark (4th)
- Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space The Cold (5th)
- Rogue One Book & Model
- Rogue One Mission Files
Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space is a fiction series for children. It takes place in the period between Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: A New Hope. Star Wars fans can meet a whole host of new characters, including a new droid, CR-8R, and a new villain, Captain Korda.
It is a time of darkness. With the end of the Clone Wars and the destruction of the Jedi Order, the evil Emperor Palpatine rules the galaxy unopposed. After their parents were kidnapped by the ruthless Imperial Captain Korda, young explorers Lino and Milo Graf set out to find them.
As this is a series of books, it starts off with The Escape, followed by The Snare, The Nest, The Steal, The Dark and The Cold which will be out in March 2017.
The Adventures in Wild Space books are suitable for key stage two as it contains more words and lots of cliff hangers and suspense-ended chapters. Mr K enjoys reading them as he finds them easy to understand. He was able to finish the book in an hour. He loves reading about how they set out to find their parents. There is a lot of action and excitement.
Rogue One Book & Model comes with an activity book and pieces to construct the model. This foam board U-Wing measures 27.5 cm by 10.5 cm and sits on a black display stand. The pieces are small which are not easy to handle but didn’t take us too long to build. We are very pleased with it!
Last but not least, it is the Rogue One Mission Files which gives you an overview of all the characters that appear in Rogue One. It is definitely one to keep!
Now Egmont is giving a set of the Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space series (The Cold, The Dark, The Steal, The Nest and The Snare) to one of my followers! So good luck and enter through Gleam! Also, remember to check out the rest of my giveaways!
- This giveaway is open to all UK residents only.
- ONE winner will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail within 3 days of competition ends. If they do not respond within 28 days another winner may be chosen.
- Your details will be passed to Egmont, but will not be passed onto any third parties by ET Speaks From Home.
- The prize will be sent directly to the winner from Egmont.
- Delivery is not in the hands of ET Speaks From Home’s Blog and may take some time to arrive.
- Any damage to the prize is not ET Speaks From Home’s responsibility.
- The company reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of a similar type/value if the prize above is not available.
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
- Competition starts on 15/02/2017 12 am – 19/03/2017 11.59pm.
Disclosure: I received these books from the publisher for free. However, they do not exercise any editorial control over my review or anything else on this site. This is a commission post. Contains Amazon affiliate links.