Did you know that you can download YouTube Kids app for free on Google Play and the App Store? In addition to that, you can now also watch YouTube Kids as a family on your big screen using Chromecast, Apple TV, game consoles or a smart TV.
Both of my children love watching videos on YouTube especially videos related to Minecraft or remakes of Disney songs and other music videos. However there is always a danger of leaving them to watch those videos without parental control.
Now YouTube Kids was recently launched in the UK and Ireland – an app built with parents and children in mind that makes it easier for kids to find videos on topics they want to explore. Since they launched YouTube Kids in the US, it’s been downloaded more than 10 million times by families who rate it among the top kids’ apps available. This local version of YouTube Kids puts the content we love in the UK and Ireland front and centre. It’s their first step in reimagining YouTube for families.
Here are some of the key features:
- Bright and playful design – With larger images and bold icons, it’s fast and simple for little thumbs to navigate. And they have built in voice search so that even if your child can’t spell or type, they can still find videos of things they’re curious about.
- Family-focused content – They have built the YouTube Kids app to be a safer version of YouTube, a family-friendly place for kids to explore their imagination and curiosity. You can browse channels and playlists in four categories: Shows, Music, Learning and Explore. Search for videos of particular interest to your family, like why penguins waddle on National Geographic Kids, or watch favorites from Teletubbies, Wallace and Gromit, The Magic Roundabout and Postman Pat. And of course, your kids can watch new series from YouTube channels they already like, including Talking Tom and Friends or find new videos from beloved UK YouTubers like Stampylonghead and his Wonder Quest.
- Parental controls – help you control the experience for your kids and put parents in the driving seat.
- Learn how the app works: When parents open YouTube Kids, they learn upfront how our systems choose and recommend content and how to flag videos. They always try to make the videos available in the app family-friendly, but no system is perfect. So if you ever find a video you’re concerned about, please flag it. This helps make YouTube Kids better for everyone.
- Search settings: They will also prompt you to make a choice about how broadly you want your child to explore – turn search on to access millions of family-friendly videos, or turn search off to restrict your child’s experience to a more limited set. Either way, parents decide the right experience for their family from the get-go.
- Timer: Let the app be the bad guy with a built-in timer that lets you limit kids’ screen time. The app alerts your child when the session is over, so you don’t have to.
- Sound settings: Sometimes you need a little peace and quiet! You have an option to turn off background music and sound effects, so your kids can keep watching while you catch a breath.
- Custom passcode: Parents have the ability to set their own passcode, and to access settings and other parental information in the app.
- Logged out experience: The app is currently a signed-out experience with no ties to an account. They have also removed all features that are linked to an account like uploading, sharing, liking, etc.
I have installed the app on both of my children’s tablets and it limits their searches which is great. I like that I am able to control what I want them to watch. It does come with advertisements after every show. It didn’t annoy my children too much and they have got used to it! So have you download it?
Disclosure: We have received a YouTube Kid goody bag.